Thursday, April 17, 2008

So I'm almost 30...so what?

I got a call tonight from a friend wondering if she could give my number to a guy. I found it very thoughtful that she asked first. But then she said the kid and I had gone to high school together, and that ended my interest. I can't be the only one who dreads dating anyone who can remember me in those golden four years, can I? Surely others run in fear of the first date being like a high school reunion, where we relive the glory days of football state champs, and the horror visits with the vice principal.

At least we had something in common beyond our age and marriage status. Most people tell me they know someone who would be perfect for me, and when I ask how, they can only manage, "He's single, and he's older, and he's LDS." Well where have you been hiding him all these years? How quickly can we book the temple?

It's truly a Utah state-of-mind. When I summer in DC, most people suggest I will be settling down and having a family in the next few years. Though I can't tell them yes, because who can know when I'll meet someone I can tolerate for long periods of time, I think the window they've given me is reasonable. So let's adopt this new standard of appropriate marriage-age. My brother would say to that, "You know your eggs are dying, right?" Thank you, dear brother. Just one more reason you don't get invited to many family dinners.

If I check my yearbook and see this guy's picture without remembering who he is, and he hasn't seen my segment on Rachael Ray, (which would be an issue all on its own...like why he watches Rachael Ray...) then I might consider letting her give him my number. But by dang, we better have more in common than our alma mater.

No comments: